Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Last Exams of College Life

It was the day before the first exam of the last semester of my college life at the College of Engineering, Guindy, Anna University. A widely popular subject in the recent times it was, most of my friends who were pursuing to do Masters had this as their area of interest ticked in their Masters applications, none other than the Artificial Intelligence, popularly known as AI among us. Whatever be the case, for a semester examination I used to start studying, at least one day before the examination. But what am I doing now. These were the thoughts running in my mind when I was just sitting with the AI half-taken notes in hand that hardly went more than fifteen pages, on the evening of 14th April 2011, watching Aayirathil Oruvan through the half-open door of my bedroom. I had the notes of Vijay R Kumar, popularly known as the ‘notes-taker’ of our renowned CSE H Batch, but only for the first unit. However I successfully managed to complete it in atmost an hour. How did I forget or rather Where was I when my friends were taking photocopies of his notes of the remaining lessons. It was a sin, not taking the copies and I had to suffer the consequences. As I opened the text book to go through the second unit, it was just I realised, the first 80 pages of the chapter containing the contents of the second unit in syllabus were misplaced by some other junk pages. It was a hell-of-a-day as I went online I found a few powerpoint presentations of various chapters covered under this book in my mailbox sent by Sriraam A S, but in vain. There were missing ppts for a few chapters, one of them exactly being the missing pages in my textbook. All were going against me as I decided to call Someshwaran E(Enga College Guru). He told he was almost finished with the syllabus and I asked him to come to college as early as possible the next day. Sudarsanan K and me reached the college at 8:30 AM for the 2:00 PM examination and we were eagerly waiting for Somesh to come and save our ass. Looking into the roads finally we found a very lean and quite tall figure walking towards us, cheeeze it Somesh. He was well prepared with all the units and summarized each and every part of every unit at a pace that we were comfortable in learning with and we almost finished the entire AI by 1:00 PM. From then, we had already decided that for all exams, Somesh is the key. From then we had principles of programming languages and User Interface Design, both taught to us by Somesh. The only sad part was Some was not in our elective called Soft Computing and there was noone to teach the full thing although it was very small. However we managed to complete that exam too. Starting from 6th semester I guess, from the assessments to semesters, almost 50 percent of what I learn is from Somesh, and this time it was almost like he taught the full things. He was also the one used to submit assignment/projects first before anyone and was being used like a test set in those case. (For instance, submitting your thesis even before anyone finished it fully and getting mokka that the color of the cover should not be white and it must be pink, rebinding and resubmitting it thereby making it easier for others). And also not to forget Vijay R Kumar for his notes. The first time was in the 3rd semester algorithms when I failed badly in the first internals did I start taking copies of his notes and from then found no other text book as simple as that and continued to use it for all subjects and managing to get good grades. A part of my B.E. degree belongs to you guys Somesh and Vijay R. No, not only me, but almost half of our class depended on you for their exams. Good luck guys for your forthcoming days. (PS: And Somesh try being lesser pandu in office atleast)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Nice Post da. as said, All the Best for Soms and Kumar. :)

    ReplyDelete