Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Banking State – How to create an account at the State Bank of India

I had got this news that we needed an sbi account for the refund of the caution deposit in our college. I have been trying to create one for almost the past two months finding no time in college. And, finally decided to visit a branch near my home, as it would be easy even after the college gets over.

State Bank of India (Mogappair Branch) – Day 1

I had got this “Account Opening Form” already from an sbi in my college and filled it up, also having the so-called proof documents for opening an account, I entered inside the bank. People people everywhere. Even in the temples where we get sakkara pongal for free, we can find lesser people. I went in and asked a guy Where should I submit the documents for creating a new account? He pointed to a small cabin where I could see a 40-50 year old nerdy guy. That guy sent me back home saying, the timings are over. I went in by 12 o clock, and I was like What the f**k? What are the timings? He told the timings for opening an account is separate and is from 9 to 11 only(Damn sure, its only for this branch). Ok, it was not my day. I came back home and carried on with my routine work.

State Bank of India (Mogappair Branch) – Day 2

I made up my mind, Whatever happens I’m opening my account today. I reached the bank after  a five minute walk and entered the cabin of the nerdy guy(it was 10’o clock by then). He was like, Why are you so late? I told you the timings are 9 to 11. I told Yeah, thats what I’ve come at 10. He argued more like it was the sin of my lifetime to have come at 10’o clock and he stressed that I could’ve come at 9’o clock. I was standing like a criminal accused of doing some illegal act for the next five minutes beside him. And after working on the request of the other customers, he finally took the form from my hand and started checking the proofs. After checking the proof acting highly indifferent, he gave it back with a verified signature and forwarded me to a peon for punching a seal. The peon was like Naanga illana indha bank ellam iyanguma. He made me wait for some 10 to 15 mins, digging into all of his pockets getting some 20 bucks, asking his ’assistant’ to get tea or coffee for him, and when I interfered he told Enna avasaram konjam porumaya irunga, then his so-called assistant came back empty handed and he got back the twenty and kept it in his secret pocket in his pant digging it even more deeper, and then came into the mood of taking the seal and punching it on my  account opening form. Now I had to get all the particulars verified by another lady, which took some 10 more minutes. The one thing she did was like she wrote 1000 rupees in a column where the amount i was to pay initially must be filled, without even asking me. I had only 500 :( And before visiting the next person for the formalities I had to go outside and take another 500 from my Canara Bank account using the sbi atm :P , Finally I had to goto a single window operator counter who entered all my details into her computer peeking into the monitor. Then she sent me to the first nerdy guy telling me to show the form to him. He saw my form looked into his computer, clicked some random buttons and copied some random numbers into my form. It was when I thought that was my account number, but I was wrong. He sent me back the counter and then she clicked some random buttons and used that big random number and now again sent me back to the same nerdy guy. I was like Ennaya enna pandhu maari thooki potu velayadureenga. But, thank god that was the last throw in the registration phase, the guy clicked some buttons to get a number and he told me this was my account number and wrote it on the form and sent back the counter, where she got back the form and told me to put money in the account. Oh man! I had one more form to fill. Then finally after depositing money in the account, she took a new passbook, printed the details, printed the first transaction, gave me a register to sign, then asked me to stick a photo at the last page of the passbook (It was in the first page in most of the banks) and get it attested by another lady who I had to visit now. She was busy putting seals and attestations over a few cheques and I had to wait for sometime before getting attested. And after that finally , I have created my sbi account. I had come in at 10’o clock and it was more than 12 when i stepped out of the office. Never thought this would consume so much time, unlike the Canara bank account that i created during the joining of college in less than 10 mins. Whateva!! I decided from now on, I’m never gonna close any of these bank accounts hereafter, may anything happen…..

3 comments:

  1. This is almost a daily scene specifically in some branches. But not all SBI branches are the same. But, you should give credit to these private branches including ICICI. The moment you say you are going to dump some money into their bank, you will find a hundred hounds around you with all the necessities and you will be done with whatever nonsense you want except that the money went into one hound's mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone told canara bank acct would suffice
    Edhukum check panniko da with college
    (if u have a canara acct)

    ReplyDelete